Saturday 29 October 2011

developer.android.com: Supporting Tablets and Handsets

I don't usually write posts about just one article in some other website but this time I want to make an exception. The official Android Developers documentation has added an article that is a must read for every developer and designer.

In this article titled "Supporting Tablets and Handsets" they explain fundamental approach to Android design. In future, designing just for phones or just for tablets is not an option. All apps should be designed and built from the beginning to scale to all screens.

So I urge you to head to this URL http://developer.android.com/guide/practices/tablets-and-handsets.html  and take few minutes to read it though carefully. It is time well spent. I promise. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi there, Very interesting material, I guess we should all be prepared for this new moment on Android's life. ICS comes for a reson after all and I'd say that this "fusion" between tablets and mobiles interfaces is the one of the principal reason.

    By the way, I've been following your blog for a few months now and I'm developing an application and trying to apply the patterns and tips.
    Your material is really good and I'd like to congratulate for the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eduardo, yeah exactly! This approach they are taking could actually turn the "fragmentation" into a powerful tool in the ecosystem. People just need to understand that building an Android app requires a scalable approach from the beginning. If that is done correctly reward is that the app runs in hundreds of different devices.

    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very thankful to you for this good collection of articles you shared here..
    Android app developer

    ReplyDelete